- - that was based on Tiny Speech Synth (C++)
- - - there is no attempt to apply any complex text-to-speech rules, just see the letters, say the letters
- - - in fact, only phonemes are stored and they are very basic, great simple design using formants by 'stan 1901'
this code is free to use for whatever - tested and works on web FF, Webkit - wont work on IE 9, maybe IE 10 will
valid characters: | all vowels have 2 forms (uppercase=hard, lowercase=soft)
q use 'kw'
| x use 'ks'
| no vowel form of y use 'I'
| c is tricky, use 'c' when 'ch', otherwise use 's' or 'k'
to insert short pause use '_' | even shorter pause use '-'
do CRUDE FIX on raw text
text input should be in the form of 'stephantalk' - using normal (raw) text as input will give poor results (latin character languages are only phonetic-ish).
stephantalk is 100% phonetic with a small, plain ascii char set. pretty simple to master.
to 'fix' raw text: 1-lowercase everything, 2-replace q and x, 3-replace all c with k or s except when ch, 4-uppercase the hard vowels, 5-tweak
'CRUDE FIX' does steps 1 and 2, then halfasses step 3 (makes all non-ch c into k)
more examples of stephantalk:
A bE sE dE E ef jE Ach I jA kA el em en O pE kwU ar es tE yU vE dublyU eks wI zE
adams boston chikagO denvr EsE frank jorg henrE Ida jon_ king linkin mir-E nU_york O-shen pEtr kwEEn rogr shU-gr tomas Union viktor wil-yam eks-rA yung_ zerO
jan_U_er_E feb_bU_er_E march April mAA_ jUn jUlI orgust septembr oct_tO_br nOvembr dEsembr
mon_dA tUs_dA wens_dA thurs_dA frI_dA satur_dA sun_dA
- span-ish - serO UnO dOs tres kwatrO sinkO sE-As sE_et_A O_chO nE_ev_es dE_es
- ja-pan_Es - zerO EchE nE_ san_ yOn_ gO_ lUkU nana hachE kwU_ jU_
- can-ton_Es - ling_ yut yE sam sE_ Ung lUk chut baht gawl sup
download lib, compressed (under 5k): st.min.js source: st.js readme: st_readme.txt
extend Stephan Talking with translators:
all files: st.zip
code also on github
multiple calls triggered by a timer
multiple calls triggered by the audio 'ended' event
multiple calls triggered by a 15 sec timer saying the time (4 times)
turns keys on bottom row of keyboard (z,x,c,v,b,n,m) into triggers (toggle on/off)
takes text from 1st textbox and says it in the nato phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie, etc)
turn letter keys into triggers to their corresponding nato word (toggle on/off)